Have you been trying to get pregnant and are not yet lucky??
You were busy in your career and is it too late for you to conceive naturally??
Are you not getting pregnant because your periods are not regular / or because of less frequent sexual contact or because of painful periods??
Is your time running out??
What do you do now? You feel you are already late and time is running out. This adds to one’s stress. And there is always that element of family pressure.
The last thing that you must do is not stress about it. You would realise that you are not all alone and your next step should be to find the best fertility clinic and how do you do that…We have all your answers
First and foremost let’s talk of when one would require visiting a fertility clinic.
- If you are young, having regular sexual intercourse without using any protection and you have been trying to conceive for over a year. And for women more than 35 years, this period of trying naturally is reduced to six months.
- Are your periods regular?
- Your physician or gynaecologist has done some prior tests which may be abnormal and you are told that you may need to visit a fertility specialist. Say for example an abnormal ultrasound of the pelvis –Polycystic ovaries, Fibroids, Endometriosis or intrauterine adhesions. An abnormal semen analysis Blocked tubes on hysterosalpingogram. (HSG) A low Antimullerian hormone (AMH)
- Either of you may be a smoker or may consume alcohol.
- If you have coital difficulties like Erectile dysfunction, Premature ejaculation, Inability to ejaculate or pain during intercourse.
- You are beyond 35 years of age and are married but you do not know when you want to have children and freezing your embryos is a viable option.
- You want to freeze your eggs.
- Either one of you have been detected with a genetic abnormality that can be trasmissable and you want to be sure your offspring isn’t affected. Here a prenatal genetic diagnostic test (PGD)can be performed and an unaffected embryo can be selected and transferred in utero.
- You want to perform Prenatal Genetic Screening (PGS) on your embryos.
Next, comes how to choose which centre would best cater to your needs. Educate yourself. Know your problems and inabilities. Understand the tests that have been performed or need to be performed.
Read! The internet has a lot of information to provide. Use it! Do your research. Most fertility centres would have their own website which would indicate the
Do your research. Most fertility centres would have their own website which would indicate the facilities offered and testimonials of their patients. Educate yourself about the various infertility treatments available, a gist of how they are performed. Ensure the clinic has a good quality control system, if it is certified by various regulatory bodies. Ensure that they have a good code of ethics and affiliation with legal experts for issues that may arise with IUI- Donor, Donor eggs or surrogacy. You could phone the centre and get all your queries answered. Newspaper ratings are a good indicator of how efficient a fertility centre may be. Always have an idea the costs involved so you are financially prepared before you start any treatment.
It is advisable to a research in your residing city before considering out station Fertility Doctor. Mumbai has been the most preferred city for fertility and ivf treatments. You can look for top fertility clinics in Mumbai.
Author: Dr. Aditi Prabhu Tandon
Dr. Aditi Tandon is a gynecologist at Sudha Tandon Fertility, IVF and Endoscopy Center. She has a keen interest in Gynaec Endoscopy and Infertility management. She has completed her under graduation from K.J. Somaiya Medical College and post-graduation M.S. OBGY from Rural Medical College, Loni (2016). She has a keen interest in infertility and has observed and assisted various Assisted Reproductive Technique procedure such as IUI’s, follicular monitoring scans, Semen preparation, Embryo loading, Semen and embryo freezing, ICSI, ovum pick-up and embryo transfers as well as observed stimulation protocols in the OPD.